Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Improving

Well not myself.
Dad just asked me what parents could/should do to "fit their teens perfect world" or something better.
Well that's a bit of nonsense because I don't think anyone thinks their world is perfect, or that everything should be changed to suit them, but I have one thing.

Realize that yes, you *should* make your kids do some things, to try them, because it will be more rewarding or enjoyable in the end, but *DON'T* make them do everything. Not everything you put us through is making us better. While you do have more experience, and are probably wiser, you're also not going through this, RIGHT NOW. You don't have to sit through (or at least in the case I'm talking about) hour after hour of boring lecture, that teaches you NOTHING, and accomplishes NOTHING besides flushing your day down the toilet.

You aren't the ones writing the endless essays, working out math problem after math problem (okay, depending on your job, you are). And yes, you DO have a job to go to, so you're under stress too. I get that. But it's not the same. And this is a tangent.

The original point/bottom line is, making us do something does not by default build character. In some cases, all it will do is make us pissed off at you for making us do it, and pissed off at everything about the event/lecture/whatever because it's a waste of our time and is something we've heard before.

Just... gah. Some stuff where we say it's total crap, it's really not and yay for you for making us do it. Great, we built character, oh joy. Some stuff, however, believe it or not we have been through enough to realize as *real* total crap. We can honestly say that we learned nothing from it, gained nothing from it, and it really just made us angry.

I'm sort of losing track of some main point I was going to build up to so this is the end.
I kind of like that about my blog though, it's not like *drumroll buildup to the dramatic point* but it's more like *blindsides you with point and then rants about it*

END.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally know what you mean!!!

Unknown said...

Dude, your right.


i dont know if its just me, but, I would learn a TON more if i just stayed home and thought and read and did music all day.